STLRC – Upcoming Rides and Events
The Pink Elephant Ride w/2nd Flight
November 8 @ 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
Participation in STLRC Rides & Hikes is at your own risk. STLRC assumes no liability.
All rides are free for St. Louis Recreational Cyclists members. Non-members must join by their second ride.
Ride leaders have the right to exclude riders who in their judgement are not in compliance with Club rules or not suited to participate.
Starting Location: Miner Park in Glen Carbon, IL
Time of Departure: 9:00AM
Description: Riding from Miner Park in Glen Carbon up to visit the Pink Elephant and have a sandwich/snack in Livingston, IL. This ride is mostly on trails but there are a few miles on roads. A longer version has been added that takes us up to Staunton for a total of 53 miles. The 1st Flight ride leaders plan on riding the 53 mile route if the weather conditions are good.
Ride Leader’s Expectations: Speed: 1st Flight 15+mph Average. 2nd Flight – 13 to 14 mph Average. Drafting – There may be drafting on this ride. Elevation: Not much. Distance: 46.1 or 53 miles.
2nd Flight: Kathy & Bill Montgomery will be leading a 2nd flight at a slightly slower pace and maybe distance.
From the Poplar St Bridge:
- East on I-64 crossing the Mississippi River on the Poplar St. Bridge where I-55, I-44 and I-70 converge entering Illinois
- After 3 miles, keep left to continue on I-55 for 6.6 miles
- Use right 2 lanes to take exit toward I-255N/I-270 continue for 4.5 miles
- Right on exit 29 for IL-162 toward Glen Carbon for 2 miles
- Turn left onto IL-157 for 0.1 mile
- Turn right onto W. Main St. for 1 mile
- Turn left on Collinsville Rd continue for 0.2 miles to Miner Park
OR: Taking the JB Bridge:
- At the JB Bridge, head east on I-255 over the JB Bridge.
- Stay on I-255 to right on exit 29 toward Glen Carbon/Granite City.
- Turn right on Hwy 162 east.
- Turn left on Hwy Hwy 157.
- Turn right on Main Street.
- Turn left on Collinsville.
- Follow the road past the library to Miner Park.
Cue Sheet: Pink Elephant Ride
All participants are expected to bring either the cue sheet, a cycling computer with the ride’s Navigation files and/or Smartphone with GPS link. If unable to, speak to the Leader before the start.
Print a cue sheet if you want one. Ride Leaders will have just a few.
For Smartphone RidewithGPS Transfer: RidewithGPS file for 46.1 mile Pink Elephant route
Experience Level: 4Ac – 4Ad
Stops: Rest Rooms available at 7.2 miles, at 16.5 miles Shell Station in Hamel and Main Rest Stop at 25 miles – the Pink Elephant Antique Mall Snack bar (opens at 11AM). 53 mile riders get another rest room stop, if needed, at Staunton Circle-K. Bring $$$ for ice cream, pretzel, or sandwich. Nice, little retro 50s snack bar & grill up at the Pink Elephant Antique mall. Rest stops the same on the way back except longer route riders will not go back to the Pink Elephant.
Road Hazards: Always watch out for traffic at street crossings and we will be on some country roads for a bit.
Weather Considerations: The ride will be canceled if: It’s raining or if there is a high percentage prediction of rain, high winds, or too cold. Please watch the weather forecasts and radar. Check the website for any corrections or cancellations before you leave home.
Ride Leaders: Joe Kruchowski 314-766-0646 Sharon Kruchowski 314-229-0705
Share This Event, Choose Your Platform!
Ride Difficulty Key
View the STLRC ride difficulty key to see exactly how we categorize our bike rides.
Interested in our past rides?
View the STLRC Facebook group to see updates and photos from our past rides!
Want to plan your own ride?
Become a ride leader and learn what it takes to plan a STLRC bike ride!